Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Psalm 139:14-16

For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb.
I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful. I know that full well.
My frame was not hidden from you when I was made in the secret place. When I was woven together in the depths of the earth your eyes saw my unformed body. All the days ordained for me were written in your book before one of them came to be.

Back in March 07 we discovered that Emma has scoliosis and numerous other congenital birth defects in her spine. Since then she has been monitored at Children's by the orthopedic spine surgeon. Back in Oct. 07 Emma had an MRI and we did not have a follow up appointment until this past Jan. 08. The results of that MRI were quite concerning. The Dr. informed us that Emma's top vertebra is fused to her scull not leaving enough room for her brain stem which is at this time taking an unnatural curve. The Dr. said that she will need surgery "in the coming months" to correct this problem. He said it would most likely involve removing some of the bone in her neck and adding other bone to give her back some stability (grafted from a rib - most likely) She had a CT sacn about a month later which was quite traumatic because she didn't know that they would be doing a contrast scan which required an I.V.
On March 8/08 we had the follow up appointment from the CT and the Dr, told us that he would be consulting with the other surgeon about Emma's case due to it's extremely compicated nature (which he had also told us at other visits but it never seemed as though he had consulted with the other surgeon.) and we were to see him again this July 08.

No comments: